Shaved Summer Squash and Cucumber Salad
- 1 pound small zucchini, ends removed
- 1/2 pound small yellow squash, ends removed
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced and soaked in ice water for 30 minutes
- 1 basket mixed cherry tomatoes, cut in half (optional)
- 1-2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or basil (optional)
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large colorful heirloom tomato, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup chopped kalamata olives
Over a large mixing bowl, use a vegetable peeler to cut the zucchini and yellow squash into long, thin ribbons. Drain the soaked onion and carefully toss with the squash along with the cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber and chopped mint or basil. Add the lemon juice and olive oil and toss carefully to coat all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
On a large serving platter, arrange the sliced heirloom tomato in a single layer to create a base for the salad. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the squash salad on top of the tomato slices, garnish with the goat cheese, pine nuts and chopped olives, if using. Serve immediately.