Pumpkin or Squash Muffins
- 1 cup mashed roasted pumpkin, squash or sweet potato
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup each raisins and chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners; set aside.
In large bowl, stir together the pumpkin, squash or sweet potato puree, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Add to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until combined; stir in the raisins and walnuts.
Spoon into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 25 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch. Makes 10-12 muffins.
Adapted from Canadian Living