Creamy Cucumber and Grilled Potato Salad
- 1 pound small to medium potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1/5 cup crème fraîche or mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil, plus more for brushing
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderately low heat until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool completely, then cut them in half lengthwise.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the crème fraîche, vinegar, sugar, mustard, celery seeds and garlic. Gradually whisk in the 1/4 cup of oil. Stir in the crushed red pepper, oregano and 1 teaspoon of minced parsley and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Generously brush the potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the potatoes, cut side down, over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and hot, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly.
Toss the potatoes with the dressing and season them with salt and pepper. Fold in the cucumber, onion and serve.