Carrots can be stored for several months in the refrigerator or over winter in a moist, cool place. Twist off tops & refrigerate carrots in a plastic bag. For long term storage, unwashed carrots can be placed in a bucket between layers of sand, a 50/50 mix of sand and wood shavings, or in soil. A temperature range of 32 to 40 °F (0 to 5 °C) is best.
This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium.
- In season in the Rogue Valley from roughly July to November.
- When they were first cultivated, carrots were grown for their aromatic leaves and seeds rather than their roots.
- Carrot seeds have been found in Switzerland and Southern Germany dating to 2000–3000 BC.
- People first grew carrots as medicine, not food, for a variety of ailments.
- We think of carrots as orange, but they can also be white, yellow, red, and purple.
- Mel Blanc, the voice of cartoon character Bugs Bunny, reportedly did not like carrots.