Beer Batter-Fried Kale
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons beer (not dark)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- vegetable oil for deep-frying the kale leaves
- lemon wedges
- 1 bunch of kale, washed well and spun dry
- coarse salt for sprinkling the leaves
In a blender blend the beer, the flour, the table salt, and the pepper for 20 seconds, or until the batter is smooth, transfer the batter to a bowl, and let it stand, covered, for 1 hour. In a large deep skillet heat 1 inch of the oil until it registers 360°F. on a deep-fat thermometer.
Dip each leaf into the batter, coating it thoroughly and knocking off the excess batter on the side of the bowl, and fry it in the oil for 30 seconds on each side, or until it is golden. Transfer the kale as it is fried to paper towels to drain and sprinkle it lightly with the coarse salt. Serve the kale with the lemon wedges.
Gourmet | February 1992